Wednesday, August 29, 2012

"What If?"

THE TIME MACHINE (2002)
Considering the fact that this movie has a tendency to attract bad ratings, I'm probably going to get some raised eyebrows on this one. Full disclaimer: I haven't seen the 1960s Time Machine. I haven't read H.G. Wells' novel. And I definitely did not go into this one expecting some full-on, H.G. Wells intellectualism. I just wanted to see a good, sci-fi movie. And I got exactly what I came for. I'm aware that this movie was made in 2002, but to me, it still carries all the innocence and charm of a good, pre-2000s adventure movie. When adventure movies were full of adventure rather than dead cat skins filled with a CGI stuffing. The good guys are good. The bad guys are bad. And there's just something very genuine about the whole film, a certain kind of honest simply hasn't existed in the past decade or so. 

Maybe the special effects weren't always all that great, but everything was much more organic. It was more believable because the actors were able to act with physical people wearing animatronic masks, rather than trying to respond to black dots on a green screen. Not to mention, there's a sense of wonder about it. Nowadays, characters have a tendency to stride onto another planet with a been there, done that attitude. But audiences remember the wonder they felt as they watched the beast of the Brachiosaurus lumber across the screen in Jurassic Park. They remember the awe of the prized artifacts Indiana Jones dug up from the dirt. Now, The Time Machine is in no way comparable to those two classics, but it carries with it that same, unpolished curiosity as we travel through time and get to experience flashes of the world at different times. And since I am a sap and apparently completely nostalgic for a good, solid adventure movie: four stars to you, Time Machine.

As for the content itself, it's just a fun movie. There isn't actually a whole heck of a lot of plot, more like a starting point, some random stuff in between and an ending point. That said, the acting is all on point. Guy Pearce plays a great, obsessed scientist. With a time machine. Orlando Jones is incredibly likable as a hologram librarian. Jeremy Irons is an crazy albino Legolas. Everyone was exactly what they needed to be and pulled together an engaging, creative movie. 

6 comments:

  1. I loved this movie. I've seen it many times and I a huge fan of both the novel and the original film. Alan Young from the original makes a cameo as the shopkeeper. And Mark Addy is one of my faves along with Guy Pierce.

    I agree it does bring a sense of wonder that seems to be lacking in the latest otherworldly flicks. One of my fave scenes is when he realizes that he can't bring his fiancee back, that he can only go forward. How heartbreaking and Guy played it perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice! That's always fun when original cast members make appearances. I approve of the appropriate nod.

      And it really does! I love that scene. Guy Pierce is definitely a badass, and pulls off a great, emotional time traveler. Gotta love the man!

      Delete
  2. It's definitely a well done film - interestingly - directed by a descendant of H.G. Wells! I am a huge fan of the 1960 movie and its star Rod Taylor - and I too love that Alan Young pops in for that cameo - M - please check out the 1960 movie when you can - it's well worth a watch - I'll entice you with this (whether it means anything to you or not): Projects Unlimited special effects. Wah Chang. A lava flow represented by oatmeal with red food coloring in it. Morlocks designed by William Tuttle worn by big bulky men when computers were still as big as rooms and could only do comparitively simple calculations.

    Back to this movie - all of the actors are fine, and as you and Mel point out - oh yes, there is wonder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is interesting! I had no idea. I really do have to see the original--it's on my list of movies to watch! Not to mention, read the book. I'm a giant fan of War of the Worlds, so I really need more H.G. Wells in my life. And I just need to see a lava flow with oatmeal and red food coloring. I'M IN.

      Delete
  3. I love your point about the confidence that hero's have in contemporary cinema - their isn't as much wonder as there used to be.

    Sure, maybe it's because I'm more of a cynical bastard than the wide-eyed tot I was, but I agree nonetheless.

    I'm gonna check this one out. I need more Guy Pearce in my life anyhow (and not the 208 year old Prometheus version).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Entirely true. But no matter how hardened I may have gotten over the years, I will always feel my chest swell when I hear that Jurassic Park theme music and see dinosaurs walk the fuck across the screen. It's just EPIC.

      And yes, more Guy Pearce is always good! Especially when he isn't 208 years old and unrecognizable.

      Delete