Sunday, July 14, 2013

Pacific Rim: That Was Great, But...

REWRITE: PACIFIC RIM (2013)

You ever have that moment when you see a great film (or even a marginally good film) and you leave the theater with your heart swollen in your chest and your adrenaline zipping like fire through your veins, and yet as soon as you hit the Exit sign, you hear yourself saying, "That was great, but..."

That happens to me far more often than I'd care to admit. So I figured I'd myself give a platform for it. We'll see how long this feature lasts. Basically, I'll make suggest a rewrite on a film and you guys get to either defend the film, side with the rewrite, or come up with your own. Naturally, I'm not going to do this for films like The Room, because we could spend all day in rewrite hell for that one, but just when I have something nagging at the back of my head, I'll pitch it and see what you all think. Capisce?

I'm starting with Pacific Rim (2013) because I did actually really, really enjoy that film. But...you know. That was great, but...(under read more for spoilers)


The only way Pacific Rim could have been better, in my opinion, would have been if they'd switched up the teams in the final epic battle of the film, in which the two Jaegers go to blow the bridge. As it stands, Raleigh and Mako were in one team (to solidify their connection and create a little romantic sparks), while Stacker and Chuck Hansen rode in the second Jaeger (so Stacker could go out in a blaze of glory and all that jazz).

Now, I enjoy it just fine as it is, but...it might've been a cleaner finish if they'd switched up the two teams. I would've been plenty happy if Stacker and Mako fought in one team, thus giving her the opportunity to join with and rise above her mentor. Plus, I would've still got feelings if he was the one who ejected her so he could protect her (we know he can man the Jaeger on his own, it wouldn't have been that far of a reach).

In the other Jaeger, Raleigh teaming up with Chuck would have closed the loop on their antagonistic relationship and given Raleigh back the one thing he was missing from his life--a new brother. Nothing against the Raleigh/Mako team...except that, if they were going to go that route, they probably should have capitalized on it a little more instead of having Raleigh order her around through the final fight.

But that's my two cents. Yay or nay?

4 comments:

  1. I still haven't seen it, but I've felt that way about a bunch of films including Star Trek 2. I'd go Yay.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good review. Had a nice time with this flick. However, I just couldn't pay too much attention to the crap script.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi I'm Ana from Blogginup.com/en/.

    Blogginup is a community of bloggers in which people follow blogs and add marks to the post or blogs that they like more.

    The purpose is to get an audience to follow your blog and go to your blog.


    I invite you to come and add your blog in less than 1 minute and start having your own followers to follow your blog.
      
    http://youtu.be/o_j8j7RXl-Y

    blogginup.com

    English version blogginup.com/en/

    Regards! :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have yet to watch this, but I'm looking forward to catching this tomorrow.

    What I do know is that (a) no one's sensibilities should become so fancy that they can't appreciate a decent Summertime popcorn film and (b) del Toro is actually an artist, like Cronenberg, Herzoh, Jarmush, and Lynch, and his work - and the quality he puts into them - deserves attention and respect. I'm happy, then, to add to his US box office take.

    ReplyDelete