Thursday, April 5, 2012

Greatest Social Climber Since Cinderella.

EVITA (1996)
One thing you probably don't know about me: I have a very large soft spot for musicals. Blame it on New York and the proximity to Broadway, but there you have it. Another thing you're going to need to know is that I practically grew up on Evita, so like many movies we see and idolize as young kids, this one has a place in my heart. But how could it not? Madonna. Jonathan Pryce. Antonio Banderas (and this is the 90s, so you know he was good). And the music! Even daydreaming about it and I know it'll be stuck in my head for the rest of the week. Oh, right, the plot. That. Here's the thing--I don't know anything about Evita Duarte. Or Argentina in the 1940s. So for all I know, this could be political mashed potatoes. However, Evita still makes a damn good movies about a strong female protagonist with less than savory means of getting exactly what she wants. Love her or hate her, Evita is a compelling character, and Madonna holds her own playing the manipulative leader. Which is impressive, considering the fact that on the other end of the boxing ring stands Antonio Banderas, playing none other than Che Guevara. It's a cast of powerful characters and powerful actors, neither of which are bound to leave your memory any time soon. 

The thing about Evita is that it's an old-school musical/movie. Which means this: they don't pepper in a couple songs here and there when it seems like a good time to sing. The music to dialogue ratio in this film is like putting an elephant up against a mouse--it's just not a fair fight. Some might like that, other might find it out of place--I personally am a sucker for musical movies that don't stop singing. Lastly, I have to give a shout out to Jonathan Pryce. From Brazil (1985) to Carrington and somehow he still lands roles like "the old, boring dad in Pirates Of The Caribbean." He's an extraordinarily talented and underrated actor, and definitely holds his own in Evita. Not to mention, he's got a gorgeous voice. So, if you're looking for a little music in your life and want to learn some history while you're at it, I highly recommend checking this one out. Just don't put it on me if you wake up rolling your rs. 

12 comments:

  1. Excellent review, I agree about Pryce it's a shame he doesn't get better roles these days, as adorable as he was in PotC movies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm with you there. I mean, I loved his role in PotC, he nailed it. But he's so damn talented, I'm surprised he isn't competing with the likes of someone like Stanley Tucci.

      Delete
  2. I've still not seen Evita. I really think I should remedy that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should! I will forewarn you, however, it will get stuck in your head for days.

      Delete
  3. Oh I love love love Evita! I could watch Antonio Banderas and Madonna in the waltz ALL FREAKING DAY. *LOVE*

    Jo
    In Which We Start Anew

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreeeed! My favorite part of the movie, not going to lie. Hands down.

      Delete
  4. Just reading your post has the Evita songs dancing through my head - the fun, upbeat ones and the sad, haunting ones. Lots of people trash Madonna, but I thought she did a great job in this.

    Wishing you continued success with the A to Z challenge,
    Jocelyn

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm with you there! I have a secret love of Madonna, so that colored my opinions for this movie. Still, it's just a great movie with catchy as hell songs.

    Thanks for the comment! Best luck to you too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah couldn't bring myself to see this one - but I'm glad you like it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You've gotta be into musicals to sit through this one. And Madonna. My inner gay man is showing.

      Delete
    2. This was a gorgeous feast of a film. And I love my musicals, too. :)

      I first fell in love with Jonathon Pryce's voice. He was a trapped spy in Jumping Jack Flash (my fave Whoopie Goldberg film) and he could only communicate via computer. He came in at the end and I was sold.

      Delete
    3. Agreed! Musicals are awesome.

      I have never seen Jumping Jack Flash! I feel like I have to change that now. Pryce has a badass voice.

      Delete