Monday, April 23, 2012

TV Trauma: The River.

THE RIVER (2012)
If it wasn't obvious, I'm scrambling to do a massive, massive A-To-Z catch up. With that said, a little something different this time around. The River is a miniseries that came out this year, and when I say miniseries I mean "had a stellar first season with the promising possibility of a second, but since when has TV ever followed through on their best shows?" The thing was, I didn't really expect myself to get sucked into The River. The plot seemed a little cliché at best--when a wildlife expert with his own TV show goes missing, his family trudges through the Amazon to find him. And, of course, in order to fund their adventure through the Amazon, they've made a deal with the producer to go "Big Brother" on them and film every step of their journey. Sounds like a lot of familiar horror movie techniques working at once, right? Wrong. The River was refreshing, clever, and one of the best shows I've seen in a long time.

What really sells this show is its command of suspense. And you know what, maybe a less gullible viewer would've been able to call out all the twists and turns before they happened. But the script is really, genuinely good at slowly building tension. We're going back to the days of Hitchcock, that good, old fashioned suspense that creeps up behind you with an outstretched silhouette of a hand. Instead of relying on clever CGI and shock-value, The River has a solid story. Plus, it made me jump in my seat more than once, and anyone who has watched movies with me will tell you that's a hard feat to accomplish.

Not only do we have a great script, but we have a great ensemble cast. There wasn't a single person I wasn't at one point rooting for in the movie. The characters are all likable, complex, and very, very human. From the claustrophobic camera man, to the even-tempered bodyguard, to the mildly possessed but beautiful mechanic. Our main characters were the family members themselves--Lincoln Cole, played by the underrated Joe Anderson who you might know from Across The Universe, and Tess Cole, played by the intense Leslie Hope. And, of course, the missing man himself, Emmet Cole, who was pulled off by Bruce Greenwood. If the tense, frightening situations don't hook you in, the characters will. There were rumors of a second season, but I highly doubt that will happen. Still, I'm not all that chuffed about it--the first season was a solid, tight miniseries without any fatty, extraneous bits. It didn't wear off its welcome and kept a clean, fresh feeling. If this is all they have to show for it, they already have more than most TV shows can boast. If you haven't seen this one, I highly recommend checking it out. 

5 comments:

  1. Does it come to any kind of a satisfying ending?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely. They leave room for a second season for sure...but it ends in a way that satisfies me if it stops right there.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I cannot bring myself to even consider watching this. I hated Oren Peli's Paranormal Activity movies and think he really has no concept of suspense. This looks to be just that boring. I know you like it and I think you wrote an excellent review, but I was so goddamned bored with the PA movies that I can't bring myself to trust watching anything else this guy creates.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can feel your pain--once burned, it's hard to try out the same director again. And there are cliché moments in this one, not gonna lie, but I enjoyed it. Mainly just because the actors were excellent and pulled off compelling characters. Still, I have irrational hatred of many movies, so I get it!

      Delete