Saturday, April 14, 2012

"The Profile Doesn't Fit The Profile."

MURDER BY NUMBERS (2002)
I just rewatched this movie after having put it down since...well...probably sometime around 2002. And, damn. I forgot what a good movie it was. It's a good, solid movie. Period. It's not just the good actors. Or the insane characters. Or the wild plot. It's the ambiance of the film. The little details. It's the docked boat our heroine sleeps in, the decrepit house the two students work out of, the battle scars under a turtleneck. It has the plot of a Law & Order episode with the undercurrent of an old murder mystery novel. In short, it's everything I enjoy. The main plot runs as such: two bored and morbid students kill a woman just because they can. A detective with a dark and violent past becomes invested in the case when the details start to feel a little too personal. So far so good, right? 

The interesting thing about this movie is it doesn't take the easy way out. It's not a standard whodunit. We know right off the bat who the murderers are. Case closed. The real meat of the movie is in watching the various characters battle with their own demons. The guilty conscience, the paranoid reflex, the itch of things buried right under the skin. And maybe I'm giving Murder By Numbers a little more credit than its due for pure nostalgia reasons. Sure, the ending's a little over the top, it has its campy moments. But there's very little I love more in the world that dissecting the psyche of truly fucked-in-the-head people. Kids who murder because they can...now that's an uncomfortable subject. It's something that makes you squirm the entire movie. Murder without rhyme or reason is just something that doesn't sit well with anyone, and this movie doesn't ever let you off that hook.

As for the actors, this is a throwback. All your favorites of the 2010s before they really hit the jackpot. Ryan Gosling, looking like a baby. All you Notebook fans, check this one out. You will sleep with one eye open. Then we have Michael Pitt, who has always been around by somehow just recently seems to have come into the public eye with Boardwalk Empire. Also looking like a baby. Finally, we've got Sandra Bullock. I know what you're thinking--gag reflex. But I'm one of those people who was actually rooting for her in her earlier years. Let's face it, she had that tomboy with an attitude and a quick tongue down pat. So long as she was playing the rough and tumble characters, I was there with her. Lately, yes. I've avoided her like the plague. But Cassie Mayweather is a hardass on a mission, and there is little I want more in a female detective role. Plus, watching her tumble around with her partner in crime because she has some inner demons to burn is brilliant. She's just a straight up fully fleshed character, and Sandra Bullock pulls her off brilliantly. Lastly, I have to give a shout out to Chris Penn. Because he's in this movie, even if it's only for a couple minutes, and that makes me happy beyond happy. You go, Nice Guy. 

10 comments:

  1. I love this film and *this* was the film that started my obsession (in a non-creepy way) with Ryan Gosling. Though I must've seen it about a couple of years after its release.
    It's a really good thriller and the characters are very well-drawn.
    I like Sandra Bullock too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a good movie to start your obsession! Much better than the Notebook. But I've got to agree--it's really a brilliant mind-fuck and thriller. What can I say? I love the psychos.

      Delete
  2. I can't believe this movie sounds so solid. Sandra is on the list of actresses I ignore because of how silly and absurd her film sound. Diane Lane and Ashley Judd are on that list too. Half their films seem like lame Kate Hudson rom-coms. I will trust you, though...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can understand that! Believe or not, I actually liked Sandra Bullock until recently. Sure, her movies are ridiculous, but they're also solid and satisfying. And she used to have this cool tomboy thing going on that I could dig.

      Delete
    2. Yes, yes, ogling women for your own interest is more important than judging their actual work. Bit of a tomboy thing? Baseball cap, old jeans, climbing up a tree (the ultimate phallic symbol that's not the Washington Monument) =p have you no shame?

      Actually, she can be a fine actress. It's almost offensive, tho, the dumbness of some of the stuff she picks. Pls note I compliment her professional skills, not the fact that she's got a lovely face and (it looks like) a lovely rack

      Delete
    3. The profile doesn't fit the profile! To this day, I have to shout this out whenever I hear the word profile. I hate it.

      Delete
  3. While I didn't like the movie Gosling and Pitt were very good and yeah, Gosling looks so young here! Bullock wasn't bad and the plot was quite interesting until the ending came which was kinda cliched. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Gosling is ridiculously young. Or just looks ridiculously young. And I don't think Pitt changes, ever. But I'm with you about the ending, a little over the top. Still, enjoyable.

      Delete
  4. It was an interesting movie for sure. I liked the old Hollywood style climax...someday I might get drunk enough to tell the story about partying with Michael Pitt and some young ladies...but not today...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Old Hollywood for the win. And I officially have to get you drunk. Pronto. This story needs to come to light.

      Delete