Monday, April 23, 2012

"None Of Your Bones Are Broken."

SLEEPING BEAUTY (2011)
Now and then, you come across a movie that's pure atmosphere. Maybe the plot is alright, maybe the characters are barely there, but it's the tone of the movie that really comes through. Always very stylized, very artsy, with a high chance of a masquerade ball thrown in there somewhere. Sleeping Beauty walks a tightrope between drama and art film, leaving me straddling my own opinions about it. The main premise runs something like this: Lucy (Emily Browning), a young woman who entertains life with a mechanical precision, decides to take on an unorthodox job for the money. Her job description is this: she takes some sleeping tea, falls asleep naked, and lets men "enjoy her company" for the night. The next morning, she wakes up without any recollection of what's happened. The most interesting part of the job is that it comes with a stipulation: the men who purchase her for the night can't penetrate her. Which means she gets a cast of extremely interesting characters--an elderly man who just wants to hold someone, a sadomasochist who needs to bark at something pretty, and so on. 

To be honest, I'm still having a hard time wrapping my head around exactly how I feel about the movie. From what I'd heard about it, I was preparing myself for some sick sexual abuse. What I got in return was something more disturbing--a main character completely numb to her body. I've seen Shame. I can handle that whole "ugly sex" theme. Violation. Degradation. But the strangest part was how open Lucy was to the concept. She didn't seem to have any real qualms about giving her body up for free. Instead, she seemed to use her body as currency on a regular basis and overall had succumbed to her situation. Lucy was less of a main character and more of a prop, without any real intent or motivation of her own. I'd like to give the script (and Emily Browning) the benefit of the doubt and say this was intentional on the movie's part. Which made it a fine art film with striking social commentary, but at what cost? The sacrifice of a potentially engaging and sympathetic main character. All in all, I'm glad I watched this one, but you'd have a hard time getting a straight-answer from me about it. I will, however, say this: the clients who purchase her for the night? The most fearless actors you've ever seen in a long time. Check this one out solely for the old man. Homeboy's got talent. 

22 comments:

  1. Glad I found a good place to check out movies I'm thinking of watching!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, glad I could help! Let me know what you think of this one--I'm at loss!

      Delete
  2. I do believe it was intentional - Lucy was sleepwalking through her life and nothing really made impression on her, until the end. I'm glad you didn't hate the movie! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I can get on that boat--it's an interesting art film. I think the main flaw is, in my head, I kept comparing it to Shame, and you can't put Emily Browning up against Michael Fassbender. I enjoyed watching it, just felt like there was something missing.

      Delete
  3. Man, you're really on a tear today, aren't you? This does not sound like the kind of movie I'd normally enjoy. To some extent, it sounds like the sort of pride piece or concept film that's more misfire than success. Four Rooms and Boxing Helena spring to mind, respectively (though I didn't see BH). I don't know when I'll actually be in the mood to watch a movie that sounds like this...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tried! Falling behind one day, struggling to catch up the next. It's definitely a movie you have to be in the mood for, and a hard mood to be in the mood for. Still, it's interesting in its own way. And I enjoyed Four Rooms just for Tim Roth's face.

      Delete
  4. I was interested in watching the movie at first, but after I read the synopsis I thought it was a bit weird :)
    Nutschell
    www.thewritingnut.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd give it a shot, but keep a wary eye on it. If you did see it, love to know what you think!

      Delete
  5. Interesting idea - I might check this one out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's definitely a unique premise, worth a shot!

      Delete
  6. Wow, what a weird premise for a film. Not sure if I want to watch it or not. Hmmmm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You've got to have the stomach for it. I've got tough skin, so it's pretty hard to shock me, but it does have its uneasy moments.

      Delete
  7. I was looking up Emily Browning once and noticed she'd been in this movie--can't say it's really something I'd watch, though.

    Thanks for sharing your thoughts!


    The Golden Eagle
    The Eagle's Aerial Perspective

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for commenting! Emily Browning is an interesting cat for sure.

      Delete
  8. I've heard of this show mentioned by someone in my church and thought, "What? I haven't heard of this." The plot sounds sickening and very disinteresting. According to your review, it sounds like there is absolutely not character development. If I had written the book (prior to the movie), I bet it would've been a huge dud.


    Elizabeth
    A to Z co-host

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's definitely NOT for everyone. Some people can stomach the material, some can't. The character development is...very subtle, at least. I'll give it that. I feel like it must be there, but...it's so subtle I have a hard time latching on to it.

      Delete
  9. Replies
    1. Word! It's an interesting concept, that's for sure.

      Delete
  10. I know what you mean. I could not make up my mind about this one and it was a hard one for me to watch. I was like What the Eff as each scene unfolded. there are some really stellar, twisted characters in here and this film is above all worth a watch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed! Honestly, I would watch it just for her different clients, I thought they were the best part. That old man was a beast. But I just had a hard time connecting to Lucy, which is something I feel is essential for a movie like this.

      Delete
  11. Hey there!
    Wondering when you'll post new reviews:)
    Happy weekend!
    Nutschell
    www.thewritingnut.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha! Yes! This is what I need, a cheering committee keeping me going. You caught me redhanded, I completely petered out on A-to-Z. But hopefully I'll get some new ones up soon! Thanks for the support!

      Delete