Wednesday, April 18, 2012

I'll Take The Breast Meat.

PRIME CUT (1972)
Named in Empire Magazine as one of the 20 Greatest Gangster Movies You've Never Seen* (*Probably), Prime Cut happens to also be one of the strangest movies you've never seen. The plot runs something like this: a Chicago mob enforcer is sent to Kansas City to settle a debt with a cattle rancher who not only grinds his enemies into sausage, but sells women as sex slaves. Or at least, that's what IMDB tells me. Right. Still with me? Imagine this: an underground barn event with rows and rows of pens, around which ranchers are auctioning off their meat. Only their "meat" doesn't have anything to do with farm animals--naked women lay drugged up in the pens instead, waiting to be sold. If that doesn't catch your attention, I don't know what will.

Lee Marvin stars in this flick as Nick Devlin, the law man who's going to save the day. His archenemies just so happens to be Gene Hackman, the evil slaughterhouse operator called Mary Ann. Because nothing inspires fear and intimidation like a bad guy called Mary Ann. But who are we kidding? Sure, Lee Marvin is the man, and Gene Hackman is fantastic as always, but this movie is really all about the young, half-naked Sissy Spacek. Damn. Is all I can say about that. The ultimate prognosis? This movie isn't for everyone. But if you don't mind a movie with a little camp and color...I'd check it out. If for no other reason than this: an epic chase involving a crop harvester, the woman action house, Sissy Spacek's bod, and everything else that makes this movie completely and utterly shameless. My verdict? Thank god for the 70s.

12 comments:

  1. Nice pick! This one's a real trip alright. I wonder if it's the first movie where pigs were so useful?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm pretty sure this was the only movie in existence that's seen so much pig action.

      Delete
  2. WOW - talk about a gansta movie! Kinda nasty in many respects. You made it sound intriguing... I'll watch it after I watch Scarface again :)
    Leigh
    http://www.oneandoneequalstwinfun.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed!It's definitely a weird one for sure. You never need to make exudes to rewatch Scarface.

      Delete
  3. Haha--not my type of film at all, but I might consider it just for Gene Hackman :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's one of Gene Hackman's most interesting roles, that's for sure!

      Delete
  4. Just sounds bizarre enough that I may have to check it ou.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you like bizarre, you'll love this one! It's worth the watch for shock value.

      Delete
  5. I can't remember if I've seen this one. I've watch a bazillian old movies, but it's not ringing bells.

    Teresa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel like the image of naked women in bull pens would be enough to remember this movie by. Still, it's a fun watch!

      Delete
  6. Hell of a movie! The pigs in Pigs - directed by character actor Marc Lawrence and starring him and his daughter - might get as much action. I'm not sure anyone should sit through Pigs (aka Daddy's Deadly Darling) to see. Fantastic choice, M!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good call! I'll keep a wary eye on Pigs. But I'm glad you approve! It's definitely a wild one for sure.

      Delete